|Step inside and warm up|
|The Magic Room a.k.a. Bear Lounge|
Russian Tea TimeThere are four choices for afternoon tea which is served daily (2:00pm-4:30pm).
- Afternoon Tea - sandwiches & blinis
- Children's Tea - sandwiches & blinis
- Vegetarian - sandwiches, salads & blinis
- Gluten Free - served in spoons, on endive leaves & cucumbers
Gluten Free Afternoon Tea
I selected the Gluten Free because I wanted to try something different. Again, I was pleasantly surprised. I personally think the gluten free menu is better than the regular afternoon tea selections--my friend was eyeing my tea stand the whole time.
|Traditional Afternoon Tea Sandwiches|
|Gluten Free sure looks more appealing than the traditional...just saying|
Served in Spoons
The following are served in spoons or on endive leaves:
- Shrimp salad with remoulade
- New York smoked sturgeon salad with dill and sour cream
- Brie Cheese and dried fruit chutney - my personal favorite
- Roquefort bleu cheese and pear with walnuts
- Sun-dried goat - cheese with red pepper and artichoke
- Curried chicken salad - another favorite
|These are quite filling surprisingly|
|Nice colorful selection|
Served on Cucumbers and a little Caviar
- Chive cream cheese and smoked salmon
- Caviar and creme fraiche
|Russian Blinis...pretty sure there is gluten but I won't tell anyone.|
|Might not look like much but it is good.|
The Tea & Cherry Varenya
The tea was the cherry on top for me--actually it was more like the cherry in the cup! Russians use cherry varenya as a sweetener. Think of honey infused black cherries and mix that with one of the delicious teas and you have something magical.
|The Cherry in the Cup|
- English Breakfast - Ceylon tea; brisk
- Darjeeling - Indian black tea
- Formosa Oolong - Delicate flavor
- Chamomile - Delicate Sweet notes
- Mint Verbena - Pure peppermint
- Rooibos Chai - South African red bush with Indian spices
It was a tab bit odd having sorbet when it the temperature outside was below 30 degrees, but I was able to overlook this oddity because the mango sorbet was very good.
|This wouldn't even melt outside|
Boris the Bear & the Magic Room
The highlight of my afternoon was the chance to meet Boris the Bear in the Bear Lounge which I like to call the "Magic Room".
|Boris the Bear|
|Anastasia is so cute blowing all those kisses|
The Gluten Free Tea gets pinkies up from me--from Russia (in NYC) with love!
|She is a little upset since Matthew Macfadyen couldn't join her for tea either!|
Russian Tea Room
150 West 57th Street
New York, NY 10019